Wednesday 13 June 2007

The Unicorn Song

In my quest for a wilder life I’ve been looking into volunteer vacations, where you pay large sums of money to work (it sounds crazy, but how else am I ever going to get the opportunity to radio-collar a cheetah?). A lot of the projects involve wildlife conservation. I’m ambivalent about this. It’s sort of like going out one day a year to pick up garbage along the roads--things look better temporarily, but it doesn’t resolve the underlying problem. Maybe it would be better to leave the garbage where it is, a form of dispersed landfill, and let it get eyesoaringly high. The same goes with wildlife. So many zoos are trying to breed endangered species, so that one day they can restock dewindling natural populations. Even if that endeavour succeeds, won't they still be subject to the same forces that caused their numbers to decline in the first place, like loss of habitat and poaching? Maybe it would be better to let species die out. Nobody is really noticing all the little things that are no more, but if enough of the big ones go, maybe it will finally have an impact. Or maybe one day, elephants, tigers and rhinoceroses will seem as mythical as unicorns.

4 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

Hmmm. Song isn't currently loading for me, but I want to say how much I like your post. Tim went on an Earthwatch trip in the early 90s tracking timber wolves in northern Minnesota. It's fascinating and does bring up a bunch of ethical concerns. Even when you're trying to help, you're messin' with stuff. But I say go for it. I wanna hear what happens.

Helen said...

Maybe it's a sign! Earthwatch was one of the organizations I was looking into (particularly a trip to Easter Island to do some digs, and one doing a census on crocodiles in the Zambezi River in Zambia).

Indigo Bunting said...

Can you get a scholarship of any kind to help with expenses?

Wow, you're looking to go way out there. I definitely want to hear what happens.

Tim had a GREAT time helping others gather PhD data...

Otter said...

This song brought back great memories.