Thursday 10 May 2007

Plastic Bags

I remember an essay question from grade school: “Which would most bother you: the death of an elephant at the local zoo, or the death of 20 million Africans?” Most people picked the elephant. I guess we’re not good at processing large numbers. As a test, try fathoming this: Ontario shoppers take home 7 million plastic bags a day, and the US discards 100 billion of them a year. We’re like some giant raptor that gorges on plastic, then shits from our lofty heights on the rest of the earth.

6 comments:

Deloney said...

Can I post here? A hacker (I think) got into my eBay account and fucked everything up. Fuck technology. I feel like putting my laptop into a PLASTIC BAG and throwing it over the Bloor Viaduct and thus into the DON RIVER.

Sorry, I'm in a mood.

Helen said...

Can you put it into a PAPER BAG instead?

That's pretty scary though that someone got into your ebay account (although I guess it might be worse if they got into your PayPal one). Did they bid on something using your name?

Indigo Bunting said...

Oh, god, Deloney. I hope it gets better. Computers are the best and the worst thing ever.

(I'm kind of into my computer penpals, I have to say. The good stuff.)

Helen, Sewa's buddy posted this recently, and it's fantastic:

http://adamusatlarge.blogspot.com/2007/04/paper-or-plastic.html

Helen said...

That was hilarious!

Cedar Waxwing said...

I bought a bunch of special grocery bags that I am supposed to take to the grocery store to use instead of using plastic bags. I usually forget them. Maybe this will help me remember them more often.

Deloney -that sucks about your ebay account. A friend of ours had the same thing happen to her.

Unknown said...

This posted reminded me of that Stalin quote, "One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic."