Thursday 31 May 2007

Telephone Line/ELO

I remember Friday nights (mis-?)spent with friends making prank phone calls; has *69 rendered such activities obsolete? And where have all the phone booths gone? No more giggling masses crammed into them to discuss all-important nothings with an absent friend. And what about scary movies of yore – like that one where the police phone the babysitter to inform her that the heavy breather is telephoning from the house she’s in – that today’s kids find laughably ridiculous? And whatever happened to E.L.O. and songs like Telephone Line?

2 comments:

Deloney said...

You're right about the phone booths disappearing. It's a shame. Where are moody existentialists supposed to hang out on rainy nights?

Indigo Bunting said...

I find ELO quite evocative of a time. Tim really hates this band.

I miss phone booths too (and I still don't own a cell phone). Thank god I've got my Get Smart DVDs.

D: Maybe a new bar concept would be just a line of these phone booths at night. Could be a hefty cover, but could be fun. We could talk to each other via phone.