Tuesday 29 May 2007

Stand by Your Man/Tammy Wynette

I’ve never been a country music lover. The big hair and sequins distract from the lyrics. Although maybe that’s a good thing. Why the hell should I stand by my man if he’s screwing someone else? It would be better to hide a big knife in my big hair and stab him with it when he creeps back one cold and lonely night.* Why settle for country when you can have opera?

*I’d like to point out that I’m a firm believer in non-violence. It’s only my writing persona that is slightly psychotic.

7 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

I remember that one year in the Spam-carving contest the winning sculpture was called "Spam by Your Man."

Great post. A coffeetable book about uses for big hair would be cool.

Helen said...

Oh my gosh, I love the idea of a spam-carving contest! Where can I sign up?

Otter said...

A post on Stand by Your Man with no Blues Brothers reference?

Helen said...

Well, I'm trying to stick to my age word count (more or less). I notice Lyle Lovett did a cover of it as well...

Indigo Bunting said...

Helen: In googling spam carving contest, it looks like more than one state holds them... Apparently Spammy Wynette and Spam by Your Man won somewhere in 1996.

http://www.langston.com/Fun_People/1996/1996AHP.html

Deloney said...

Helen: is that an electric drill in your hair or are you just...(fill in the blank). :-)

Susan said...

LOL. Just LOL.